Some beautiful quotes to share on Mother’s Day… Making a decision to have a child – it’s momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. – Elizabeth Stone Mother’s hold their children’s hands for a short while, but their hearts forever. – Unknown The [...]
by Sharon on April 29, 2013
I recently had the opportunity to present to a lovely group of parents from Deep Cove Parent Participation Preschool on the topic of Decoding Each Family Member – The Nine Traits of Temperament. We now know that individuals have their own unique temperament and it works much better to understand a person’s temperament and work [...]
by Sharon on April 17, 2013
Although we all flip back and forth between being a Jellyfish parent, Backbone parent and Brickwall parent (Barbara Coloroso’s terms), setting limits can sometimes take us back to the default of a Brickwall parent “You do it because I said so!” Since, our goal is to be a Backbone Parent (for as much time as [...]
by Sharon on April 1, 2013
To understand how to address misbehaviour, we need to be familiar with the progressive 4 Goals of Misbehaviour according to Adlerian theory: Attention, Power, Revenge, and Assumed Inadequacy (as mentioned in an earlier article.) The biggest mistake is to immediately react to the misbehaviour and not pause to collect our thoughts, or consider the feelings behind [...]
Welcome to Mama Compass!!!
Guiding you on the joyful and challenging journey of parenting. You'll find useful tips, advice and a helpful and supportive community of parents.
"Our experience with Sharon has been invaluable. My daughter says she is the best 'teacher' she has ever had! Thanks Sharon." ~ Carrie
"I have relied on Sharon for exceptional parenting advice, particularly related to anxiety, for several years. We are lucky to have Sharon as a valuable resource in our community." ~ Heather
- Happy Mother’s Day! May 12, 2013
- Decoding Each Family Member – The Nine Traits of Temperament April 29, 2013
- SETting Limits – How to Be Kind and Firm April 17, 2013
- Are You Inadvertently Reinforcing Misbehaviour? April 1, 2013
- How to Help Our Children Self-Regulate March 25, 2013
- Peace Begins at Home November 11, 2011
- Going on a home exchange!! June 30, 2011
- Traditional Games versus Video Games and Dr. Stuart Shanker’s Thoughts… December 13, 2011
- Temper, temper…temperament? Understanding and Working with an Individual’s Temperament April 10, 2011
- Raising Resilient Children & Youth: What are the key individual, family and community factors that affect resilience? April 9, 2011
- Claire De Boer: Great piece, Sharon - thank you. These are great s...
- Yvonne: Hey now this was a great opener for my new year! I...
- Claire De Boer: Some really great insights, Sharon and all my favo...
- Dhana: Wow, thanks to the above writer for all the book i...
- Dhana: Hey there Sharon, This is such a great post, and ...
Follow Me on Twitter!
Follow @mamacompass on Twitter